Drugs and Genes Website
Drugs and Genes is a website created, designed, and maintained by pharmacy students involved in college chapters of the Personalized Medicine Coalition (PMC).
The mission of Drugs and Genes is to provide the general public with reliable, up-to-date information regarding genetic data and how it relates to the use of particular medications in a way that is both useful and easy to understand.
By utilizing this website, one can expect the following:
- To gain a basic understanding of DNA, amino acids, and proteins
- To gain a basic understanding of various drug targets
- To gain an understanding of personalized medicine as it related to drugs interacting with genes
- To learn about specific drugs and drug-gene interactions including:
- General overview of the drug
- General overview of the gene
- General overview of the drug-gene interaction
- To learn about genetic tests recommended when using specific medications
Personalized Medicine Coalition
The Personalized Medicine Coalition, representing scientists, patients, providers and payers, promotes the understanding and adoption of personalized medicine concepts, services and products to benefit patients and the health system. (Click here to go to the PMC website)
We have four key goals:
- Provide opinion leadership on public policy issues that affect personalized medicine;
- Help educate the public, policymakers, government officials and private sector health care leaders about the public and personal health benefits of personalized medicine;
- Serve as a forum for identifying and informing others of those public policies that may impede the ability to deliver the promise of personalized medicine; and
- Create a structure for achieving consensus positions on crucial public policy issues and supporting changes needed to further the public interest in personalized medicine.
The PMC will:
- Collaborate with member organizations and outside experts to identify, analyze and address ethical, legal and social implications of personalized medicine;
- Provide a forum for debating (and, where possible, reaching consensus on) public policy issues surrounding personalized medicine;
- Educate policymakers and health care leaders about the importance of personalized medicine and its positive evolution;
- Serve as an umbrella organization for stakeholders who are conducting personalized medicine education in both the publicand private sectors; and
- Provide networking opportunities for the many and varied stakeholders in personalized medicine.
The PMC works closely with existing organizations to improve the understanding of personalized medicine and related issues, in a way that avoids duplication of efforts and leverages their activities.
Drugsandgenes.com is funded by the Ohio Northern University Raabe College of Pharmacy Department of
Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences. The funding of this site has no impact on the editorial content of this site. The contributors to this site, the individuals involved in site maintenance, and the organization funding this site declare no conflicts of interest. This site is provided as a public service. The moderators of this site are voluntary students and faculty members of the Raabe College of Pharmacy at Ohio Northern University, Ada, Ohio, USA.